Monday, May 21, 2007

Ok, so...The Hanging Garden

Because I have a million things to do today, I decided to watch a DVD from the old Blockbuster.com, The Hanging Garden. This is one of those "Gay Man comes home after a long time and remembers discovering he was gay and all this family dysfunction" movies that Miss Drum loves so much. A man comes home for his sister's wedding and, well....the family is dysfunctional to say the least. Previously discussed man was, as a teen, morbidly obese and attempted suicide in his family's garden....and, well....

I tried to like it, I really did. I remember when this came out in the movies, so when I saw that the DVD came, I figured I would give it a chance, as the premise sounded interesting to me. Problem is, the whole thing reeks of pretension. Lots of weird little moments and symbolism (I don't get the whole ghost kids or whatever you want to call them running around). Also, the "big shocking secret," while not expected by me, was annoying. I don't get why people would find the little girl in the movie's behavior acceptable. The whole thing reminded me of a bad community theatre company trying to do something edgy.
Anyway, if you love these gay coming of age movies, then check this out. If not, I would let it pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MISS drum??