Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ok, So The Year In iTunes, 2011 (Pt 2)

Last week I posted some reviews of songs I have purchased from iTunes in 2011, and I'm continuing the list...

1/13/2011 - Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me  It's garbage, but it's fun garbage.  I'm not ashamed to have purchased it.  I am a liiiiittle ashamed at it's play count on my playlist. The video could have been great, but, alas, it sucks. (Grade: A)


1/16/2011 - Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera Ellen - Snow  Viewers of the video podcasts will have heard this purchase during the episodes where Taffy and I were trapped in South Carolina, not so ironically called, "Snow!"  For that reason, I will always have fond memories of this song.  That, and two years ago when Babaloo and I watched White Christmas together for the first time...and I sang this song to him while the movie played...as Cher.  Well, anyway, he thought it was funny. (Grade: A)


1/17/2011 - Peaches - Talk To Me  And now for something completely different from Snow.  I love the way this song has a very new wave vibe to it.  It reminds me of B sides from stuff I loved to listen to in the early 80s on old 45s or, later on, cassingles ('member those?)  I also think fondly of the boys over at That's What She Said podcast, as I know they are big Peaches fans (there's about four ways to take that last sentence boys...do with it what you will)  And the video is creepy and retro...she's a very handsome woman, that Peaches. (Grade: B)


1/17/2011 - Christina Aguilera - Keeps Gettin' Better  I was going through a Christina phase, having relistened to Back To Basics and having bought the Burlesque Soundtrack (both are actually very good.). I remembered this song was on her greatest hits and thought it would make sense, given I had all the other songs from the album that I wanted (via other CDs and downloads) that I would get this one.  Eh.  I can see why it wasn't a successful single a couple of years ago.  She sounds bored.  So am I.  (Grade: C-)


1/25/2011 - Benoit Charest - Cabaret aspiratuer  From the film The Triplets of Belleville, I associate this with one of my favorite dance numbers from So You Think You Can Dance.  I loved the routine and this song wasn't available in iTunes for years, and then occasionally checking to see if it was available when I was bored, there it was.  Weird and trippy, it's great background music for when you're getting ready for work in the morning. (Grade: B-)


1/26/2011 - Kate Bush - This Woman's Work  How the hell did I not own this song before this?  It's inexcusable, really. (Grade: A+)


More later.

1 comment:

Taffy said...

One of my top songs of all times!!!