Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ok, So If I Waited For My Last Post, I Could Have Put This One On There As Well...

Edward Ugel's I'm With Fatty was highligthed in People Magazine's book review section a while back(I ONLY read it at Taffy's house - honest!), and, quite honestly, I bought it because a.) It was about a guy trying to lose weight, vs. most weight loss books that either talk from a woman's perspective or are written by a personal trainer, b.) I liked the cover and c.) It was supposed to be funny.
Well, it is written by a man, and I still like the cover and it was funny at times. Ugel's works as a blogger for the Huffington Post, and you can see that in his writing style. The tale of him trying to lose 50 pounds in 50 weeks resonates at times for more zaftig fellows like myself, but there are other parts of this story that just seem foreign to me. He devotes an entire chapter to a binge he had not long before his fifty weeks was up, and while I could hear myself in some of the statements he was saying to himself, It just seemed a little too "A Million Little Pieces" to me, if you know what I mean. And, without giving away the ending, I was let down by it. I felt like if you were going to write a book about this experience, that there should be some meaning to the experience. Ultimately, this was about him avoiding a CPAP machine. The ending just felt...petty.
Parts of the book, when he was talking about relearning to fall in love with exercise were motivating and exciting to read. I just can't help but feel this book, like his motivation in the beginning of this experience, was kind of half-assed.

Here is an interview he did with Matt Lauer back in October, when the book was released

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Well FUCK HIM then!